Day 10

It was a wet and windy night in Beachport and we also almost had an unwanted guest. Some other camper, we think he had a few too many, mistook our tent for his mate Tristan’s. So at 1.30am he was shouting for Tristan. I was not going to make the mistake of coming out like at Ceduna. Who knows how big this bloke was!!! So bravely both Joy and I shouted ‘wrong tent mate’ and thankfully he headed off. But the damage had been done and no sleep was had for a couple of hours, especially as the rains and wind started again. It always amazes me that when you are struggling to get some shuteye, you only drop into a deep sleep just before you are due to wake up. So was the case this morning. We wanted a reasonably early start so it was up at 7am. We were all set to head off in search of the Great Ocean Road, but as Joy returned from her morning shower I noticed Kate was not with us. I thought she was a goner. She was talking but not working and at one point I thought we were going to have to bury her at sea just over the grass bank. There were tears and all sorts as Kate struggled for life. Maybe it was the thought of Joy having to navigate into Victoria, I don’t know, but we thought we were toast. We could not survive without Kate, so we headed for Mt Gambier – luckily it was a straight road – in search of help. We eventually decided to check out the Tom Tom website – that’s Kate’s home – and see what could be done. Would she need surgery? Was she dying? These questions and more ran through our minds. We even discussed buying a replacement. We thought that was it. But the IT guy on the other end of the helpline had the answer. Turn Kate off and turn her on again. Now why didn’t I think of that? It was obvious. It is always the answer and I should have known that. So the reset button was pressed and hey presto, Kate was back!!! Reports of her death were premature – as someone once wrote. With Kate back and Joy saved from navigating, we moved on into Victoria. We stopped off in  Portland and Port Fairy before joining the Great Ocean Road. And I have to say that I am not usually lost for words but the sight of the Bay of Islands just before Port Campbell was awe-inspiring. As Joy said it was nature at her most spectacular and it was all free. The Bay of Martyrs, London Bridge and the Grotto – all formations left by the erosion caused by wind, rain and sea spray – were next on the agenda as the southerly winds roared in. It was unbelievable stuff and something we will both remember for a long time. Port Campbell was the place chosen for our night’s stay before the beauty of the ocean road winds on tomorrow. We will be seeing the Twelve Apostles and much, much more, all with Kate as our guide. As Arkwright from Open All Hours often said: “It’s been a funny old day.” But it’s been one to remember. Be back to tomorrow for another epic leg of our journey.

All pictures on day 10 from great ocean road


One Response to “Day 10”

  1. Bill James Says:

    Hi both,

    Following your journey with great interest, very descriptive Phil. You probably got your car parts quicker than we would in the UK. I am following you on Google World maps, but they keep freezing the computer, so that I have to turn it off and start again. Well worth it tho.
    Good luck and keep blogging.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: